Are you planning a trip to Africa or South America and plan on getting the Yellow fever vaccination in Bangalore? On the other hand, you are struggling to find the details of the vaccination.
I went through the same dilemma a few weeks back and thus I decided to write a complete guide on how to book a yellow fever vaccine appointment in Bangalore. Read until the end to understand the process and requirements of getting a yellow fever vaccine.
What is yellow fever and why is the vaccine important
Yellow fever is a viral disease caused by the yellow fever virus, which is transmitted through mosquito bites. You can find it mainly in tropical and subtropical regions of Africa and South America.
The symptoms of yellow fever include fever, headache, muscle aches, nausea, vomiting, and jaundice. The disease gets its name from the yellowing of the skin and eyes. In severe cases, yellow fever can lead to organ failure, bleeding, and death.
If you’re planning to travel to or live in areas where yellow fever is common, it’s important to get vaccinated. This is the best way to prevent the disease.
In which countries is the yellow fever vaccine mandatory?
|Central and South America
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of Congo
Trinidad and Tobago
How to book an appointment in Bangalore for yellow fever vaccination
The yellow fever vaccine is available in both, private and govt hospitals, but the certificate valid for traveling is provided only by the govt hospital.
The yellow fever vaccine is available in Sir CV Raman General Hospital in Indiranagar, Bangalore. I have provided the Google Maps link below for reaching the hospital.
Address: Sir CV Raman General Hospital
There are two ways to book an appointment for your yellow fever vaccine
- The easiest of the two methods is to call these two numbers: 9513666604/080-25281245. You can book your appointment by calling anytime between 9 am and 4 pm from Mon – Fri and 9 am-1 pm on Saturday. The hospital also has lunch timings so keep a note of those timings while making the call.
- You can also walk into the hospital(Ward no 82) and make your appointments.
What is the cost of the yellow fever vaccine?
The cost of the yellow fever vaccine in Bangalore is Rs 440. It has to be paid in cash only at the hospital on the day of your appointment.
Yellow Fever Vaccine Process and Requirements
Here are a few things you need to know about the process of the yellow fever vaccine.
- The vaccine is only provided every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday between 8 AM and 12:30 PM. If it’s a public holiday on one of those days, no vaccine will be provided.
- Since there are only two days in a week where vaccines are provided the waiting list for a new applicant will always be 14 days i.e. You will only get a slot after 14 days.
- If you have your trip before that you can show proof of tickets and get the vaccine before 14 days.
- According to WHO, it is better to take the vaccine at least 10 days before your trip starts.
- On average there are 100 vaccines provided on each of these days.
- On the appointment date it is important to have your breakfast and then go for taking the vaccine.
- The documents required to get the vaccine are your original passport and Aadhar card. Without these two documents, you will not be given the vaccine.
- If you have any of the below issues it is better to first consult a doctor and then take the yellow fever vaccine
– Allergic to Chicken/Egg – This is because the vaccine is made from chicken embryo
– Any major liver/kidney issue
– Are you on medication with steroids/radiation therapy/cancer treatment therapy
– Any history of Cancer, HIV/AIDS, organ transplant dialysis
– History of asthma
- On the day of the appointment, you first need to fill out the form, make the payment, and get your vaccine. This is done on a First cum First serve basis.
- Once you have taken your vaccine you need to wait some time and then they will give you the yellow fever vaccine certificate.
- Others who are visiting countries that require the polio vaccine can also get it in the same place
FAQs about yellow fever vaccination in Bangalore
Q1. Where to get the yellow fever vaccine in Bangalore?
Ans. The yellow fever vaccine is available in Sir CV Raman General Hospital in Indiranagar
Q2. What documents are needed to take the yellow fever vaccination?
Ans. Original Aadhar and Passport are needed on the appointment day to take the vaccine
Q3. How to book an appointment for yellow fever vaccination in Bangalore
Ans. You can either call on these numbers(9513666604/080-25281245) or walk in the hospital and make an appointment
Q4. Is Yellow fever vaccination mandatory?
Ans. Yellow fever vaccination is mandatory before traveling to Africa or South America
Q5. When should one take the yellow fever vaccination?
Ans. You have to take 10 days before your trip starts, since there is a waiting list in Bangalore you will only get a slot after 2 weeks
Q6.How much does the yellow fever vaccination cost in Bangalore?
Ans. The vaccines cost Rs 405 in Bangalore and need to be paid in cash on the appointment day
Q7. Is there an online appointment for yellow fever vaccination in Bangalore?
Ans. There is no online website to book the appointment you can call on the above numbers to make an appointment
Q8. Is yellow fever vaccination available in private hospitals in Bangalore?
Ans. The vaccines are available in private hospitals but the mandatory certificate for travelling abroad is not provided by them. Thus it is better to take the vaccine from Sir CV Raman General Hospital
Q9. What are the side effects of the yellow fever vaccine?
Reactions to yellow fever vaccines are generally mild like mild headache, body pain, or fever. If there is some severe reaction it is advised to call the hospital immediately
Q10. What is the validity of yellow fever vaccines?
Ans. Earlier the validity of the yellow fever vaccination was 10 years but now they have lifetime validity.
Looking for hidden gems in Africa that you can visit? Read the guides below
- Discover Zanzibar: The Hidden Gem of the Indian Ocean!
- Zanzibar cuisine is very similar to that of India, read more about Zanzibar’s local delicacies
- The kitesurfing hub of Zanzibar: Paje, read about the best things to do in Paje
- Zanzibar Travel Guide for first-time visitors
- How to plan the wildebeest migration safari on a budget